rules the roost, as there are riflesand even handgunsfor every purpose and every shooter. If you load on a progressive it's ideal. It is just a guide and the reason you should start under these charges and work up. I am pleased with the results from my 5 Smith and Wesson Model 629. Lighter and tougher and more precise than ever, it's the perfect back country hunting rifle. Subscriber Services. Poll: What Progressive Reloading Press Do You Use Most? Pet Loads and Handloader are registered trademarks of Wolfe Publishing Company. Powder Bul Weight C.O.L. A World Record Attempt and everyone is out at the range shooting and practicing. This makes sense, as the .308s 1:12-inch twist is just perfect for such bullet weights. Quickly he was attending weekly, monthly, and annual shoots, which included Nebraska state, USAYESS, and many more. CFE Pistol was introduced in 2014. Later, he started a granite countertop business allows him the time to pursue his passion for long-range shooting and high-country public land mule deer and elk hunting. Very Fast Rifle Powder: Hodgdon CFE BLK. Where is the best place to start? What was perhaps most impressive was the overall accuracy of factory loads, with most easily grouping under one inch at 100 yards. Larger game calls for larger bullets, and there is no shortage of them. I loaded exactly to Hodgdon load data max with 150 SSTs for a old 80s vintage Savage 110 and a new Sako and both guns shot sub MOA. I've got 168gr BTHP Match bullets, 168 Amax, 168gr Berger VLD. The Hodgdon blend of powder will get you close in the rounds that they have provided the loads for. Hodgdon Clays. Jaclyn has also taken up Extreme Long Range matches, including King of Two Miles in New Mexico, where she placed 14th out of 80 invited competitors. The average velocity was 2,378 fps, for a muzzle energy of 2,236 ft-lbs. In 2015, Ryan and Dianna traveled to over 36 events across the world, including Italy and New Zealand. Berger FB Target; 150-gr. 2020-08-03 Hodgdon's reloading site shows 1680 fps for a 13.4 grain starting load with Lil' Gun (this is for a 180 gr. Similar lightweight bullets are also available from Barnes, Sierra, and Berger. Trailbozz2020; Oct 12, 2020; Reloading Forum (All Calibers . There is one more important piece of reloading equipment: a small flashlight. Varget is what I'm starting with when the build is complete, just out of experience with the bolt gun. Or is it for paper punching? From their home in Montana, Shoot Straight with Chad & Marsha follows Chad, Marsha and their two boys-Walker and Wyatt-across the world in hunting adventures. Hodgdon PST1 Spherical CFE Smokeless Pistol Powder 1 lb Hodgdon's smokeless CFE (Copper Fouling Eraser) powder is a spherical pistol propellant that utilizes the CFE formula . Each week the Schearer family will hunt with a variety of weapons from archery, muzzleloader and shotgun to centerfire rifles and will not only focus on the hunt, but will be filled with educational tips to make the viewers better sportsmen and sportswomen. We show you how. (I like Hornadys Lock-N-Load Headspace Comparator.) Poll: What Rifle Cartridge Do You Reload Most Often? Being a spherical powder, metering is superbly accurate. In 1952, two years before the announcement of the Armys cartridge, Winchester adroitly introduced it as the new .308 Winchester. April 9, 2022 Guy Miner Defense, Dillon General, Handgun Defense, Hodgdon, Lyman, Mark 7 Reloading, Midsouth Shooters Supply, RCBS, Reloading Blog, TESTED 10mm, 10mm auto, 357 Magnum, 38 Special, 40 S&W, 44 Magnum, 45 ACP, 9mm, 9mm parabellum, Ballistics, Bear Hunting, CFE-223, CFE-BLK, Deer Hunting, Dillon, Glock, Handgun, Hodgdon CFE Pistol, Hornady, Hornady XTP, Lee, Mark 7 Reloading, Pistol, Progressive Press, RCBS, Reloading, Reloading Blog, Reloading Dies, Reloading Press, Reloading Videos, Revolver, Self Defense, Single Stage, TESTED, Turret Press, Ultimate Reloader, Your email address will not be published. Mag. mikld said: If load data listed is only one powder charge, that is a max. <>/Font<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageB/ImageC/ImageI] >>/MediaBox[ 0 0 792 612] /Contents 4 0 R/Group<>/Tabs/S/StructParents 0>> has a slightly higher maximum average pressure (MAP) of 62,000 psi; the MAP of the .30-06 is 60,000 psi. PMC cases held the least, at 53.1 grains, while Winchester held the most at 56.1 grains. Early factory loads were advertised with 110-grain bullets at 3,340 fps, 150s at 2,860 fps, 180s at 2,610 fps and 200-grain bullets at 2,450 fps. First, the primer must be removed. The .308 Win. My name is Robert Brantley and I have been obsessed with precision rifle since 2007. We continue to prioritize our shipments to our traditional sales channels to maximize powder availability at retailers. While the S.A.A.M.I.-recommended maximum overall cartridge length is 1.680 inches, my Marlin 1894 feeds 1.720-inch-long rounds without a hitch. dies as the fourth most sold, topped only by the 6.5 Creedmoor, .223 Remington, and 9mm Luger. For over 25 years, he has worked in the firearms industry in product development, working and consulting with small arms manufacturing and related products. Hodgdon Varget. A consistent shooter, Regina has finished in the Top 20 routinely and in the Top 10 quite frequently in both the National Rifle League and Precision Rifle Series. I was just flipping around looking at different loads, if only I could find data on this powder in the 300 blk. Virtually every maker of centerfire rifles chambers models for the .308 Win. That debate has been pretty much settled with the advent of superior drum-type powder measures and lots of powders that meter with great uniformity. Diannas also won the 2015 NRA World Shooting Championship Ladies title. This scope has recently been improved and upgraded, and it performed flawlessly throughout many shooting sessions. Noslers AccuBond and Ballistic Tips and Hornadys SST, GMX, InterLock, and InterBond forms in 150, 155, 165, and 168 grains are proven performers. I asked him what caliber he used and expected him to say 6.5x55, one of the 9.3mms, or some such. In her off time, Regina writes for many publications in both print and digital mediums, trains other shooters, and mentors several up-and-coming female competitors in the precision rifle discipline. The proper burn rate powder for the .308 is a mid-range rifle powder, which gives the reloader a large selection of appropriate choices. They are impressed by the light recoil and how cheap it is compared to buying new AA shells for practice or matches. *Above data is from Hodgdons Reloading Data Center. The size of the .308 Win. Load data using cfe 223, for an ar and .308. Thus, as we evaluate the grand old .308 Winchester, we see that there are many reasons why it is so popular. Plus, the .308s moderate powder capacity wont produce enough velocity with heavier bullets to cause reliable expansion. 2019 Alabama Precision Long Range Challenge 5th, 2021 Alabama Precision Long Range Classic 3rd. Poll: What handgun cartridge do you reload most often? Some of the accompanying maximum loads generate pressures that exceed most (but not all) factory loads; however, they are within industry maximum average pressure guidelines. Phillip has attended all follow-on formal Scout Sniper courses, having graduated with honors and recognized as High Shooter from all. Hodgdon Tite Group. Ultimate Reloader LLC / Making with Metal Disclaimer: (by reading this article and/or watching video content you accept these terms). Joseph Von Benedikt is with Jorge Spat to learn all about it. He also placed second in the World Elk Calling competition. A precision rifle enthusiast and owner of GA Precision, George likely needs little introduction. A quick look at the data shows them to be quite different powders.~Muir A longtime resident of Virginia, Todd competes in over 16 different shooting disciplines (to include USPSA, 3-Gun, Steel Challenge, IDPA, Olympic Rapid Fire, Shotgun Shooting Sports). When developing the accompanying load data, shot strings often displayed extreme spreads that were below 20 fps, and many of the better loads were less than 10 fps. While I had many rifles at my disposal, with barrel lengths ranging from 16.5 to 30 inches, this data was obtained using a Ruger M77 Hawkeye stainless. 26.8 gr. Hodgdon CFE 223. 4 0 obj Lee #2. . The stuff that Hodgdon is selling is NOT the same blends of powders being loaded at the factory by Hornady. Most notable is the Barnes Tipped Triple Shock X-Bullet, but there are several good examples, including the Hornady GMX that produced .5-inch groups in the test rifle. From the Hodgdon CFE Pistol product page: I used a 230 grain Hornady XTP (jacketed hollow point) bullet, 6.8 grains of CFE Pistol and a CCI large pistol primer, in mixed brass. Full Story: https://bit.ly/3u2u7w6UR T-Shirts: https://bit.ly/2UEAkgWUR on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/ultimatereloaderHave you used Hodgdon's CFE 223 b. Explore. It is noteworthy that the .308 Winchester is the parent case for the .243 Winchester, .260 Remington, 7mm-08 Remington, .338 Federal, .358 Winchester and a host of wildcats. An entire book could be written on powders suitable for the .308 Win. The number of solid expanding hunting bullets continues to grow. In fact, the latest Die Popularity List from RCBS lists .308 Win. One last caveat on priming. ABOUT CHAD: Chad is a world champion elk caller and two-time Eastern US Elk Calling Champion. As we peruse the specific loads, a trend sorta pops up. Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, and many others make neat priming tools. The Winchester XPC rifle was a late addition to the mix, but it performed admirably. I used a 230 grain Hornady XTP (jacketed hollow point) bullet, 6.8 grains of CFE Pistol and a CCI large pistol primer, in mixed brass. The expansion ratio usualy lets you shoot the next heavier bullet in the 6X45 over the 223 loadings. As a spherical powder it flows through mechanical powder measures very nicely, dropping accurate powder charges. CFE Pistol is a medium-fast pistol powder on the burn rate chart. Reloading the .308 Winchester. IMR 4064, CFE 223, IMR 4895, Reloder 15 and A2460. Taurus has redesigned this sporting pistol for performance. In that time I have used it for both hunting and competition. Yes, you read that right. He retired from the North Kansas City Police Department after tours through Patrol Division and the K-9 Narcotics Unit, with additional duties as the Department Armorer, SRT Unit Sniper, and Range Officer/Instructor. Hodgdon H4895 Improved Military Rifle IMR 4064 VihtaVuori N140 Winchester 748: Accurate 2015 Hodgdon Benchmark Hodgdon BL-C(2) Hodgdon CFE 223.22 Remington Jet Magnum: Alliant Powder 2400 Hodgdon H110 Improved Military Rifle IMR 4227 Winchester 296: Hodgdon H110 Hodgdon H4227.218 Bee: Alliant Powder 2400 Hodgdon CFE BLK.22 - 250 Remington . Mr. Bullet Feeder: Unboxing, Setup, Loading 9mm, WARP SPEED! The content on this website (including videos, articles, ammunition reloading data, technical articles, gunsmithing and other information) is for demonstration purposes only. It may not display this or other websites correctly. .308 Winchester (Hodgdon CFE 223 Data) reloading data with 22 loads. After trimming, debur the case mouth with (what else?) I use 49gr of CFE 223 with 150gr Game Kings in my .308, it shoots .25" with an COAL 2.805. Make sure to watch till the end. .308 Winchester - Published Manufacturer Loading Data. CFE Pistol provides optimum performance in cartridges like the 9mm Luger, 38 Super, 40 S&W, the 45 ACP and many more. In the accompanying data only a few loads exceeded a 50-grain charge weight, and were mostly loaded in conjunction with. Brian moved back to Idaho, where he completed his bachelors degree in Business Finance at Albertsons College of Idaho. 0. It was very hot in my Keltec RFB and my Savage 10, even with the starting loads I was getting bolt marks on the casehead and flat primers. Tough projectiles of 178 and 180 grains are about perfect. A variety of .308 Winchester factory loads were checked for velocity. As with any cartridge, it never pays to try to turn the .308 Win. Improved Military Rifle IMR 3031. A case trimmer is a miniature lathe, and it whittles off the excess brass in a jiffy. Hornady GMX. They were my brother and stepfather's guns and are completely factory guns. round, it says 8.4 grains is max @ 1062 fps. Sounds like you're pushing the max. endobj In addition, it is not impossible to buckle or bulge a case if crimp force is excessive. and 8 lb. I loaded for 44 mag and 45 ACP and found two solid loads. .308 cartridge using CFE 223 powder on Hodgdon's website. Its small size also makes it easy to accidentally overcharge in certain cartridges. Thanks, Guy Miner. I've tried IMR 4895 and CFE 223, nowhere near the accuracy of Varget. Shellholders: Hornady #1. Beck Defense is offering this bullet in a .308 load. After taking up competitive shooting in 2016, she, won the Precision Rifle Series Production division in 2017 with her Savage Stealth. He is a four-time World Champion, 13-time National Champion, the only Triple Crown winner in Action Shooting Sports and has 600+ (and counting) local and regional shooting competitions. The last test gun is my ancient Ruger Model 77R. These are two fine game bullets. Home. For 155gr. IMR4895 is also quite good. BL-C (2) works extremely well in the 204 Ruger, 223 Remington, 17 Remington, 22 PPC and many more. is one turn in 12 inches, while the .30-06s twist is 1:10 inches. Like dozens of other cartridges, it came about by modifying the good old .30-06 Springfield. He has over 35 years experience in shooting, with approximately 50 tons of projectiles downrange with the assistance of Hodgdon Powder. Nevertheless, the .308 Win. Todd is a competitive shooter and firearms instructor. I tried the CFE 223 powder at the loads specified in the Hodgdon Annual Manual and found that it was a very dirty powder, in that it appeared to be fouling up the chamber throat. This is very small for an extruded powder. All gunsmithing procedures should be carried out by a qualified and licensed gunsmith at their own risk. Hodgdon CFE 223 powder is an excellent choice for handloading the .308 Winchester with a wide range of bullet weights. If a case is longer than the chamber (yes, it happens, and there are gauges to measure actual chamber length), the case can be pinched between the bullet and the barrel when the round is fired. Springfield Armory SA-35 Pistol: Rebirth of the Browning P-35 Hi-Power, 6.8 Western Ammo Options: The Load of Long Yardage, Top 5 Most Accurate Factory-Loaded Rifle Cartridges, The Colt Anaconda .44 Rem. Caution: There are zillions of loads for the .308 Win. Due to different barrel lengths, type of bullet, seating depth, primer type and other factors, you may not get near the FPS charted. The .308 Win. in my batteryand always will be, along with dies and a good supply of components. Bullet is .308 diameter. Of course, as with any reloading project, the first and probably most important tool the reloader should acquire is one, or more, of the excellent reloading manuals. 3 0 obj You can find Hodgdons CFE Pistol powder at Midsouth Shooters Supply or buy directly from Hodgdon. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. from questionable sources out there. Zach started attending national shoots in 2018, including Junior Worlds, Junior Olympics Nationals, and USAYESS Nationals. Dianna currently competes in the role of Captain for Team Benelli. /wp-content/uploads/2016/08/HODGDON_LOGO_DARK.png, https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/cfe223_1_lb.jpg. The .308 Winchester is not only a historic battlefield caliber, it is an established match caliber and one of the best all-around North American hunting calibers. 7.62x39 Reloading Data There are a number of excellent .308-diameter bullets that expand the sporting utility of the 7.62x39: (from left) 100-gr. are expended on varmints, but suitable specialty bullets for these critters are available. into something it isnt with handloads. stream By accepting these terms, you agree that you alone are solely responsible for your own safety and property as it pertains to activities, procedures, techniques, or practices described in whole or part on this website. This is mild load though, only going 2750fps at a QL predicted 51k psi. ABOUT WALKER: Walker is 15 years old and has hunted from Africa to Hawaii, and several places in between, including the Yukon in Canada. It has established an excellent reputation among match competitors and is often used in 1,000-yard competition. Poll: Whats your number one reason for reloading? The accuracy-minded shooter should select top-quality dies, and may even want to consider match dies offered by practically all manufacturers. So, I will probably load a few at 10.0 grains and a few at 11.0 and see how they shoot. I bought a box of 500 once-fired military surplus 7.62x51 mm NATO cases from Everglades Ammo . He play trumpet in the Junior High Band and I am an honor roll student at St. Pats. He is also a noted TV personality, regularly appearing on TV programs Shooting USA. SIG Sauer P365 Pistol Now Offered in .380, Casting Your Own Bullets for Lever-Action Rifles. Using bullets from Speer HP, Nosler BT, Nosler E-Tip, Sierra HPBT, Hornady SP, Speer SP, Hornady BTSP, Swift SP. You can find Ryan on Shooting Gallery on The Outdoor Channel, and Realtree.com. That is about top-end for the Tokarev pistols; CZ-52 pistols and Soviet-bloc SMGs can run hotter loads. (Ret.) endobj 100% of all my handloads are done withHodgdonbrands. The number of premium lead core hunting bullets is nearly endless. No part of the landscape, from pop cans to squirrels, was immune to a 10 round burst from a Ruger. CFE 223 yields top velocities in many cartridges such as the 204 Ruger, 223 Remington/5.56mm NATO, 22-250 Remington and the 308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO, plus many, many more. Don't have an AR308 yet, but I will soon for a new deer gun. It falls right next to Winchester Auto Comp, burning faster than Alliant 2400, yet slower than Alliant Unique or Hodgdon Universal. It should be noted that with a 3.0-grain case capacity variance, not to mention case construction and material variances from one brand to the next, velocities and pressures will change accordingly. Dont miss out on Ultimate Reloader updates. Brian now competes in both the PRS and NRL Pro series. Well, of course, there are tools to deal with that, too. The load produced good accuracy, reasonable recoil, and averaged 892 fps. Snake River PRS club has become his pride and joy with a dedication to growing the sport by recruiting and supporting new and youth shooters. But this apple didnt fall far from the tree.
Fortisip Compact Protein Diabetes, Al Lettieri Grave, Boblo Island Ferry Schedule, Articles H