The Steel Woods Singer Talks Pressing On In Wake Of Band Member's Death It serves to remind me that we should never take our friends for granted and we should reach out while we can. We take comfort . But either way, we were somehow able to make something good out of it.. Honest songwriting, always trying to push the boundaries of our musicianship and keeping it really close to our roots when it comes to our influences., The Steel Woods announced Copes death on social media, writing in part on Instagram, We are writing this still in a state of shock and kindly ask for your prayers for the family, friends and band at this time. According to Don Aaron, Jason Cope was found by a male friend who went to his home on Erin Ln. After recording the album, guitarist and songwriter Jason Rowdy Cope passed away in his sleep at the beginning of 2021 before the band could go out on tour to promote All Of Your Stones. Cody Jinks Shows Up to Support Steel Woods' 1st Show Back I had never heard of Steel Woods, and I come here all the time! While 2021 has hardly started, its unfortunately reminiscent of 2020: taking cherished country music icons away much too soon. News The groups publicist confirmed Copes death to Rolling Stone. January 20, 2021 @ And now all of a sudden its in perfect line., With hindsight, Cobb sees a lot of knowing signs from Cope, especially in the smooth integration of Powers to the bands lineup and in key collaborations on All of Your Stones. thanks Trigger. HankThrilliams And a third album was scheduled to be on the way sometime this year. Jason Cope, the guitar player for the Southern rock band the Steel Woods and a collaborator with artists like Jamey Johnson and Brent Cobb, has died. I was teaching at the time and his Mom was a teacher in NC, he had great insight on how to improve curriculum at the secondary school level. Jason 'Rowdy' Cope, Steel Woods Co-Founder & Guitarist, Dies at 42 Trigger January 19, 2021 @ RIP. Truly, he is. January 16, 2021 @ He said he needed to leave the band and he was gonna start this other band. 8:53 am, I have a signed copy of a release with an axe in a log. He knew thousands of songs.. Following his death in January, Copes group made visiting Eastern Kentucky a priority as they hosted events for the Jason Rowdy Cope Memorial Fund. And the band specifically had said they want to come back to Bell County. All love to Jason Rowdy Cope, his friends, his family, and his fans. April 8, 2021 @ 7:53 pm. Copyright 2021 WYMT. A country music artist with ties to Eastern Kentucky died due to diabetes complications in January, but his legacy lives on. It was during the murder trial of Wayne Mills in Nashville. He played with Johnson for nine years, as well as on albums by The Secret Sisters, Lindi Ortega, The Oak Ridge Boys and more. Id had numerous interactions with him over the years. 7:02 pm, Daniel Miller This story will be updated as further information becomes available. "It is with a broken and heavy heart that we share the news that our brother, friend and the founder of The Steel Woods, Jason Cope, has passed away," the band says. For Cope, who earned the nickname Rowdy for his wild-eyed, unpredictable persona, those good deeds and small victories were hard won. Townes Van Zandt, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Waylon Jennings mostly. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Notify me of follow-up comments via e-mail. Both albums mixed elements of outlaw country and Southern rock with a blast of hard rock the group covered Black Sabbaths Hole in the Sky on Straw in the Wind and Changes on Old News. kadodd1 We are writing this still in a state of shock and kindly ask for your prayers for the family, friends and band at this time.Nashville Police Department Public Affairs Manager Don Aaron tells Saving Country Music that Jason Copes passing is currently considered an unclassified death, pending an autopsy by the local Medical Examiner. The first time I met Jason, it was on a tour bus (when he was with Jamey) and we had the best sit down conversation about history and the education system. Though mostly know for their Southern rock style, the writing of both Jason Cope and Wes Bayliss is well respected within the country music community. After recording the album, guitarist and songwriter Jason "Rowdy" Cope passed away in his sleep at the beginning of 2021 before the band could go out on tour to promote All Of Your Stones. Sign up to receive exclusive discounts from Whiskey Riff Shop and breaking news. 6:22 pm. He played on multiple albums for Lindi Ortega, and produced her 2017 EP Til The Goin Gets Gone. Jason "Rowdy" Cope of The Steel Woods performing at the Laurel Cove Amphitheater at Pine Mountain State Park. I knew the guitar player and founding member of The Steel Woods Jason Rowdy Cope personally. https://musicrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/The-Steel-Woods.jpeg, https://musicrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/MusicRow-header-logo-Mar19B.png, The Steel Woods To Release Final Album With Late Founder Rowdy Cope. One of my favorite live bands because of Rowdys stage presence and talent. The Steel Woods shared the news Saturday evening (1-16) to many shocked fans. Jason 'Rowdy' Cope: How Steel Woods Guitarist Mixed Metal, Country He was a natural bridge between feel and technique, Johnson says. Founding guitarist for fast-rising and critically-acclaimed country and Southern rock band The Steel Woods, and long time session guitarist and touring member of Jamey Johnsons backing band Jason Rowdy Cope has died according to the band. The group released their debut album, Straw in the Wind, in 2017, and followed it up with 2019s Old News. . Ellen Foster Hed always say the secret to success was keeping irons in the fire. He was the real damn deal. Honky-Tonk Heroes Remembered on The Steel Woods' 'Old News' A RIFF on what makes the great outdoorsgreat. I had the pleasure of hearing the Steel Woods open up for Whiskey Myers in Michigan in Jan of 2020 & it was a show I shall never forget since both bands rocked it! You were a stand guy and one helluva guitar playing man, Steele Jarrell Lexi Len Rob Wilson He tested it out while Cope was wrestling with the solo for Macon., Hed play a pass, and wed let him know if it was a strike or a ball or a foul. His cause of death was linked to his Type II diabetes, diagnosed in late. Donnie Shelley I sat down to write about Jason, and his untimely passing shortly after he left this world. This sucks big time. Shawn Hernandez Brent Cobb, Dave Cobb, Jamey Johnson, Jason "Rowdy" Cope, Jason Cope, Lindi Ortega, Nikki Lane, Ted Russell Kamp, The Secret Sisters, The Steel Woods, Wes Bayliss, Trigger There was no sign of a struggle, and no sign of foul play in Jason Copes death, though the investigation remains pending until the final autopsy report. By Melissa Gaddie. Kristy Pruitt Time slips away call a friend you havent talked to in a while and tell them you love them.. He produced Lindi Ortegas 2017 EPTil the Goin Gets Gone. After a decade of working in Los Angeles, he packed up and moved to Nashville in 2007. The Steel Woods release 'Old News' - Grateful Web Chris January 21, 2021 @ January 24, 2021 @ Your email address will not be published. The thing he reached for, he obtained, he says. The dude was like clockwork, Cobb says. Was lucky enough to catch an awesome Steel Woods concert 2 summers ago. Correction: The original version of this story left out a word in the album title for All Of Your Stones. Your email address will not be published. Taking up guitar at age 11, he grew up listening to Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, as well as rock bands like Led Zepplin. I was honored to have him help out with my album East Tennessee, loved the work he did on so many great records, and was so proud to see the success he had with his new band, The Steel Woods. Country music is the lifeblood of Whiskey Riff, and we pride ourselves on standing firmly in the corner of the independent artists, and those few in the mainstream still doing it the right way. He built himself an unshakeable legacy. photo via Taylor Hendrix on YouTube Country and Southern rock band The Steel Woods just made their first live appearance back after the tragic death of their guitarist and founding father Jason "Rowdy" Cope on January 16th, and one of the band's closest friends was there to offer his support. ? Shortly thereafter, I was able to see them play at Songbirds in Chattanooga. His death was already heartbreaking but it would be even more if it was under even more heartbreaking circumstances. Besides this being Rowdys story of what he went through, and what you guys all went through as a band, and just the general idea. All rights reserved. January 17, 2021 @ Jason Cope, the guitar player for the Southern rock band the Steel Woods and a collaborator with artists like Jamey Johnson and Brent Cobb, has died. How did Jason Rowdy Die? 2021 Update, Cause of Death, Reason? P.S. By being high. The Steel Woods got off the ground six years ago, when Cope whose death was attributed to a complication of diabetes was playing guitar for outlaw country star Jamey Johnson. We want to hear it. In his honor, a memorial fund was started and has since brought in several thousands of dollars. January 16, 2021 @ 8:46 am, Daniele Cobb had worked with Rowdy on numerous projects. , Todd Pottinger Formed in 2016 after guitarist Jason "Rowdy" Cope, who played in Jamey Johnson's band for many years, met lead singer Wes Bayliss at a music venue in Nashville, The Steel Woods have been growing their grassroots following out on the road while opening for the likes of Miranda Lambert, Blackberry Smoke, Jamey Johnson, Whiskey Myers, Cody Jinks, and more. Heartbroken. So when we met and [Rowdy] brought the idea [of the Steel Woods], it was like music to my ears. I am 1, of 25 People Who Ordered, and Received The double Autographed TEST PRESSINGS of Old News, + an Autographed copy of the Original Artwork ! As a guitarist he was a force, as a songwriter he was an emotion with a pen, as a friend he was loyal and dependable to the end and as for me, he was my brother.Brent Cobb said upon Rowdys passing, He schooled me on everything. Jason Cope and I once got stuck in the same parking garage together. Jason Rowdy Cope, a co-founder of the country-rock band, The Steel Woods, has passed away at 43. Cobb and Rowdy teamed up together on numerous projects throughout the years. It flowed. The Steel Woods Singer Talks Pressing On In Wake Of Band Member's Death His ability to collaborate with artists across the musical spectrum leaves a long list of friends and colleagues morning the loss. He had been sober for three years and was freshly focused on his health, dutifully managing his Type 2 diabetes. Kevin Smith KEARNEY When Jason "Rowdy" Cope died at age 42 in January, his band members in The Steel Woods dealt with the shock of his death. 9:21 pm. Its wild that he made sure to write another song with me for this record [You Never Came Home] and with Jamey too. 2023 Rolling Stone, LLC. The Steel Woods Honor Late Co-Founder Jason 'Rowdy' Cope With New Album george January 16, 2021 @ Rowdy grew up with metal. This has made the songs on the album feel even more poignant, as most of the songs on the album were written by Rowdy, and were largely autobiographical about some of the dark times he had faced in life and triumphed over. Cope became familiar to fans performing onstage with Jamey Johnson for nearly a decade, and was an in-demand session guitarist, playing on albums by Lindi Ortega and the Secret Sisters, among others. Coming out via Woods Music/Thirty Tigers, the bands third release is expected to be their strongest and most substantive work to date. The Steel Woods guitarist, Jason Cope, dies at 42. - Country Standard Time 6:15 am. He schooled me on everything.. Cope also had played with Jamie Johnson for nine years and wrote with him. 9:49 pm, Last live show I seen at The Ranch in Ft Myers before the Rona shit went down.Steel WoodsRowdy.RIP, John Lowe another great country musician. After ending his time with Jamey Johnsons band, he co-founded Steel Woods with Wes Bayliss after the two met, playing in a cover band. January 17, 2021 @ January 16, 2021 @ Pictured: Rowdy (far right) with The Steel Woods. I couldnt have been more proud. A cold beer, hot grill and the great outdoors. Saw The Steel Woods in a small venue in FL and he was a hell of a guitar player. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. Nobody accused me of positing for clicks when I was one of the first and only individuals to review and promote the debut record from The Steel Woods. This is a gut punch for me. While getting sober was the high point He celebrated his sobriety. January 18, 2021 @ In his final years, however, he began to use his musical talent and experience to help others. Its made from all the stones people threw at us. When the Steel Woods' co-founder Jason "Rowdy" Cope died unexpectedly at the age of 42 in January, the band had recently been recording new music.On May 14, Cope's surviving bandmates will move . Catch the Kentucky Derby Festivals GospelFest Tonight at the Waterfront, 3 Concerts To Catch In Louisville This Weekend (4/28-4/30), The Louisville Orchestra Gala Gives Taste Of Yo-Yo Mas Sold-Out Mammoth Cave Performances. The two met at a one-off gig in Nashville, and after a fishing retreat together, decided to give a new band a shot, hitting it off despite a 13-year age difference. He seemed to like arpeggios as well, and did a lot of interesting sounds and textures with unusual chord changes. Through the release of their first two albums,Straw In The WindandOld News, theyve solidified their sound as a mix of traditional honky-tonk, country, and southern rock with lead singer Wes Bayliss strong and soulful vocals. 'Hangxiety': What is it? And how to deal with it. - USA Today "He was a natural bridge between feel and. Rowdy was an amazing talent, but even more than that he was a great human being. I had followed his career from before The Steel Woods, and I have absolutely nothing but love and respect for him and the legacy in life and music he left behind when he tragically passed away recently. This is a profound loss to music and humanity. My heart goes out to his family, friends, and all who knew him. Maybe thats one that gets looked over sometimes, but I know thats the right answer to that question all the time. January 17, 2021 @ 8:09 pm. Jason "Rowdy" Cope: Creator, Performer, Fan, and Student. View latest articles, news and information about what happened to Jason Cope, American musician (The Steel Woods, that died on Sunday January 17th 2021. . Some of it due and some of it probably undue. Bayliss' sentimental track "Ole Pal", about longing for a long-lost dear friend in a small-town backdrop, takes on an entirely new feeling in the wake of Cope's passing. While his bandmates couldn't offer further details about his death, they marked the tragic news "with a broken and heavy heart.". January 16, 2021 @ I saw em headline dive bar Carols, then Fitzgeralds patio, and open a sold out show for Cody in Madison in front of 2500 and the crowd went crazy!!! Johnson pauses to collect himself and goes on to explain, in a near soliloquy that dramatically rises and falls, how All of Your Stones is a testament to how he and Cope overcame respective bouts of self-sabotage. Everything was really in line. Jason was sooo cool. Mindfulness is the practice of being present in the moment and observing your thoughts and feelings without judgment. Please watch the full video to know more about Jason Rowdys cause of death, age, net worth, short bio.Jason Cope, the guitar player for the Southern rock band the Steel Woods and a collaborator with artists like Jamey Johnson and Brent Cobb, has died. Rest in peace. Last concert we saw before everyone went to shit. 9 Comments. Johnson echoes Bayliss sentiment. Both OHandley and Blankenship said that they plan to host more events in Kentucky soon. Knaw. Country is more than just a steel guitar. He was 42. His bandmates shared the sad news on social media on Saturday (Jan. 16). The group's publicist confirmed. The word is that The Steel Woods had a new album finished, and ready for release in 2021. Although we never met . 1:36 pm, What a devastating loss to the revitalization of Southern Rock music. Rant with us. The Steel Woods - Wikipedia We take comfort in knowing he is in a better place now and his passion for music and art will live forever in the work he has left behind., RIP Rowdy, the band concludes, you will be forever and greatly missed.. By not really paying attention to the things we should have been paying attention to, Johnson says. Photo by Jessica Blankenship. Wes Bayliss wants you to know: He's good. We were the last two cars in the garage. Now the conversation is sort of switching to okay, what all can we do? said Copes sister, Bethany OHandley. It just completely transformed his life, Copes sister Bethany OHandley said. LIKE ROLLING 'STONES': The Steel Woods soldier on in wake of co-founder Jason Rowdy Cope, co-founder and guitar player of country rock band The Steel Woods, passed away. R.I.P. This is a huge loss for the music community. 6:56 am. They are my favorite band, one of my favorite artists, and I hope that they will put out new music again. There might have been 100 people in that tiny room, but those boys played like it was a packed stadium. Hell be very sorely missed.Jason Cope started The Steel Woods with lead singer/guitar player Wes Bayliss. Laying it down in the studio this week. After knocking on the door repeatedly and receiving no response, the friend forced entry where he found Jason Cope unresponsive, and called 911. You will truly be missed. I was privileged to see Rowdy play live with both Jamey Johnson and with Steel Woods. Man, sad sad news, how old was he? The album was nominated for Saving Country Musics Album of the Year. He wanted to put. And he shared it with anyone willing to learn. And, stylistically, he had the complete package, he could go from flat out hard core honky-tonk twang, to southern rock slide, with all the requisite nasty growling distortion and fast rock licks. 6:17 am, Joseph Robson Such a talented soul. He came to me one evening and broke out a pint of whiskey. Gaslight Anthem Kick Out the Optimistic Jams in New Song Positive Charge, Jelly Roll Pours One Out for George Jones With Bartenders Blues Cover, Songwriter Keith Gattis, Whose Songs Were Cut by Kenny Chesney and George Strait, Dead at 52, You Are Grimes Now: Inside Music's Weird AI Future, Pharrells Something in the Water Fest Cancels Final Day Due to Severe Weather, Stagecoach: Kane Brown Breaks Mental Health Stigma With 'Memory,' Talks Depression, Kiss Paul Stanley Has 'Thoughts' About Parents Who Support Kids Gender Identities, Kanye West Fallout Sparks Class Action Lawsuit Against Adidas, Roy Wood Jr. 42 Comments. Prayers go out to all of his friends and family, Trigger He came from a metal background, but he could play guitar like a steel player.. He was such a passionate musician. Photo: Courtesy All Eyes Media. Daniele Jason 'Rowdy' Cope of Country-Rock Band Steel Woods Dead at 43 - Outsider Jamey is still one of the best, but that sound of the original band hasnt been duplicated. It was so easy. My condolences to your family, friends, and band mates. "It brought people from California, Texas, Indiana, Florida," Blankenship said. The Steel Woods are planning the May 14 release of their album, All Of Your Stones, the band's final project with co-founder Jason "Rowdy" Cope who passed away unexpectedly in his sleep earlier this year. Jason "Rowdy" Cope's Death Currently Ruled "Unclassified" Rowdy was there every day of the trial for support for Waynes family, even when it snowed probably 12 inches on one of the days and the whole city shut down. I found it to be a task that was going to prove to be impossible to accomplish. The Metal Woods To Proceed On with "All Of Your Stones" A mindset. I didnt really want to do the solo thing, which is what everybody moves to Nashville to do, Bayliss says. Trigger All material 2023 LEO Weekly, Louisville, KY. All rights reserved. And he would just be a freak about his volume pedal to give it that steel swell. And one of the things we both kind of marveled at is the idea that even through that, God used us. It was this idea of us being the umpire. RIP Rowdy, you will be forever and greatly missed., In his own Instagram post, Brent Cobb recalled crashing on Copes couch in Los Angeles and listening to music like it was the only thing in life that mattered. January 16, 2021 @ He had a lot of pent-up creativity that he wanted to get out there., At the time, Cope was still playing with Johnson and he gingerly approached his boss with news of his departure. What do you most want people to take away? He says his friend left this world happy and satisfied. 2:25 am, Stood about a yard away from him at a gig in Glasgow could see his strings vibrate I was that close. We are writing this still in a state of shock and kindly ask for your prayers for the family, friends and band at this time. But to accuse me of trying to generate clicks to a site that has cost me extreme expense both financially and personally for 13 years to keep going is not only incorrect, it is irresponsible, frankly unconscionable, and is born of Facebook-style gossipy bullshit being sowed by jealous parties and individuals who believe theyre rivals that has no basis in the reality of how the death of performers in the public space are covered, and have been for many decades, by many outlets. Tim S. January 16, 2021 @ Very very sad From an Australian fan R.I.P Jamey, Joseph Robson It serves to remind me that we should never take our friends for granted and we should reach out while we can. Wishing some peace and comfort to all who knew him. After loss of a band member, The Steel Woods return with new album 4:06 pm. Breaks Down His Killer White House Correspondents Dinner Set, Bernie Sanders: Many GOP Leaders 'Don't Even Believe in Democracy'. I think thats what All Of Your Stones is about, and, you know, we named the record that; I think the whole thing is stay positive, and keep your head down, and press on. The Steel Woods Release Autobiographical New Track By Late Founder No cause of death was given. Whether Cope truly felt his time was coming or not, he consciously dedicated his remaining years to living down his nickname. He played it just so natural, but it was intense. So sad to hear this news. Theres an uncharacteristic quaver in Jamey Johnsons baritone when talking about the last song he ever wrote with Jason Rowdy Cope, his longtime friend and bandmate.
Used Pontoon Boats For Sale In Florida, Zinc And Magnesium Sulfate Balanced Equation, Taylor Strecker Husband, Articles W