That flash of insight stimulated an intense curiosity of how things work. The building blocks of a fulfilled life include resources (e.g., support), personal characteristics (e.g., curiosity), and life quality. This skepticism keeps the scientists moving towards making greater, newer and more discoveries. Learning physics in high school was the pinnacle of me beginning to understand why the universe is the way it is. All of us like to know why things are as they are. Maybe it will empower the poorest people on the planet by eradicating a disease that due to geographical reasons has receivedlittle interest from the rich nations. We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us. It doesnt matter what the work is for, how much benefit it brings to society or even if it was enjoyable. Some people are motivated by achievement. A primate weighing 165 pounds can support only about 30 billion neurons. It's time to hear from the Editage Insights community! Roughly one-third (32%) of working Ph.D. scientists said a main motivator for their career path was a lifelong interest in science and desire for intellectual challenge, according to the 2014 survey. I believe that changes in scientific knowledge have a significant impact on how scientific research is conducted. So, what draws people into these careers? When you're more accepting and adoring, your partner seems more adorable to you. Hawking's research has, improved our understanding of where we originated from and how the universe and its, View Now, rather true to my childhood origins, I regularly study trilobites and am interested in documenting many different aspects of arthropod evolution. What assumptions are you making that might have snuffed out your curiosity? The event that stopped everything, and focused my attention on science, was a near-fatal brain bleed when I was 50 followed by life-saving neurosurgery and an 18-month recuperation. In many ways, this motivation can besimilar to apassion for science but spending four years studying the development of zebrafish gonads just wont cutit the work has to have an applicable goal. When you consider the work of natural scientists in general, how do you think developments in scientific thinking end up influencing how scientific study is carried out? They evolved long before the dinosaurs, and had gone extinct just before the first of the giant vertebrates (animals that have a backbone). Since their initial goal was to learn instead of succe View the full answer Transcribed image text: 1. var d=new Date(); yr=d.getFullYear();document.write(yr); I was in the middle of a PhD, conducting interviews with Aboriginal people about their identity and involvement in the Aboriginal community. Other questions are a daily occurrence. However, no matter how noble the motivation, scientists driven by a sense of duty will inevitably face aharsh reality: most academic researchwill not have a direct impact on peoples lives. Are we living on assumptions we made years ago? most asked question on a daily basis as we go through our everyday When I teach graduate students, I use their questions as a measure of their thinking. Psychology Today 2023 Sussex Publishers, LLC. This situation changed when Brazilian researcher Suzana Herculano-Houzel and her team introduced a new method for counting neurons. this kind of technology would be a massive help for people with diabetes. The network keeps growing, with new sites added every week, so sign up now and submit your URLs within the next few minutes to boost your rankings and get the traffic your pages deserve. Curiosity also motivates people to ask questions because they want to learn everything they can about a topic or topics they are interested in. What do you think motivates scientists to ask, "Why?" In other words, what inspires scientists to pursue their research? Interviewers might appreciate hearing a detailed response about technology, statistics and the data science life cycle, which would prove your expertise. Get the help you need from a therapist near youa FREE service from Psychology Today. I am motivated by being convinced that knowledge driven economies are relatively sustainable. Scientists are motivated by the chance of producing discoveries that shift our worldview. These are personality traits that every therapist needs. Please tell me what you hope I bring to this meeting? Active meditation can prevent intrusive thoughts from sabotaging your practice. Among these [], Re: Maybe your research will increase cancer survival rates, What is life when it is not protected from virus driven entropy https://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.3505769. Here's what you can do. Quora - A place to share knowledge and better understand the world What motivates academic scientists to engage in research The 'Why' Behind Asking Why: The Science of Curiosity. One part of the answer is known: Because we are primates. His work has opened the way for others to follow in his footsteps and discover more about space and the origins of our existence. When things are good, it is time to celebrate. But after watching all the Discovery Channel, National Geographic and History Channel documentaries I could possibly get my hands on, my mind was constantly in awe of such questions. The whole that I had referred to before is basically the researchers approach to making sense of the different elements of their journey. Madelyn Blair, Ph.D., on the faculty of Columbia University, offers strategies for you to unlock resilience. Solved 1. Based on this week's resources, what do you think - Chegg Agency is about a person having both capability and permission to complete a task. In doing so, my father had introduced me to the record of organisms that were no longer alive and furthermore, that people who studied these animals are called palaeontologists. They all have in common an innate belief in their work and its place in their life. Alternative question: I feel I cant contribute to the objectives of this meeting. And dedication paid off. I genuinely cant remember a time I havent been fascinated with the wonders of life. Practice Improves the Potential for Future Plasticity, https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/21/opinion/how-does-life-live.html. New research sheds light on how we are resistant to change. Even if in the end success eludes me, the process of exploring a mathematical problem is a remarkably rewarding journey. Yes, science is interesting and solving puzzles is neat but scienceis also a tool for the benefit of Humanity. My selected story is about-an alternative for people with diabetes to Whilst some scientists come withpersonalities that neatly match this type of motivation, the longer you stay in academic science the more pressure there is to behave in these terms. Olfactory receptor genes are GPCRs. How do others see the decision? This directs attention to individual agency in the motivational process as actors strive to obtain valued outcomes through intentional behaviours. I enjoy good collaborations, conferences, literature search and even scientific writing. This motivation can materialise itself in arrogant or even pedantic behaviour, like rudely trashinga colleagues work or always wanting to have the last word in an academic debate, but is also the driving force of people who enjoy disrupting dogmas and going against the establishment even if its just to prove the bigwigswrong. To create an introduction, think of your initial response to the question. Answered by opiraajudith One or more of the following reasons could motivate you to conduct research: - Desire for a research degree and the rewards that come with it; - The desire to take on the challenge of solving unsolved problems, i.e., concern about practical issues, motivates research. Yet, in the face of insurance limitations, opposition in academic psych and national governing bodies steering towards their own connotation of evidence, I am invigorated by my patients and treatment myself. Or we might use why questions to appear smart ("Why did we choose this product?"). I became curious about what kept researchers motivated on their journey. How often have I met a leader who says, Remember, there are no stupid questions. When I hear that, I am not inspired to ask anything. Why probably. 3 min read, How much money researchers make, managing Phd viva nervousness, and more Why Do We Ask Why? | Psychology Today The thoughts of those who had shared quotes with me were not very different from the Tweets I found. 'Gold', 'Ribbon' or 'Puzzle': What motivates researchers to work in You may find it surprising to hear that until about a decade ago the number of neurons in the brain was not known with a high degree of precision. What are the four reasons scientists ask questions? - eNotes the What cognitive science has to say about how we experience life. Read more: Full Document, Apply the scientific lens to a personal experience or event. In fact, it is the rarity of triumphs in research problems that make them so alluring, and draws me in with an unwavering determination and vehemence. Eventually, they have to write or do something, but up to then, the best measure is their questions. In primates, a brain that is ten times heavier also has ten times more neurons. The more I look, the more it seems that the five-or-longer years of research life are a quagmire that very few manage to escape unscathed. So, I listen to their questions the first signal of how they are thinking. Answered: What do you think motivates scientists | bartleby A private safe space for researchers around the world to be themselves, learn from and motivate each other, and have some fun! Why do humans have more neurons in their cerebral cortex than any other animal? Growing up, I would get nudged gently into the yet-uncharted territory of advanced mathematics by my parents, and they would firmly but not unkindly dissuade me from looking up solutions or asking for their help. I spent many hours pondering the 2 and the square root. How did your motivations change during your time in research? Formulate questions that would tell you what you would like to know. My father took me rock collecting and brought chemicals home for me to analyze. Basically, researchers have shown that even if primates spend the maximum time foraging for food that their physiology allows (nine to ten hours a day), they cannot afford both a large body and a large brain. In 2008 I made my first Facebook post. Based on this week's resources, what do you think motivates scientists to ask, "Why?" In other words, what inspires scientists to pursue their research? Which of the following is an objective statement about an apple? Primates manage to cram more neurons into smaller masses. Love to design experiments and test hypotheses. Ive met researchers whose predominant motivation was a raw love for science. This is entirely due to the large number of neurons. What more would you like me to explore? I hope that says Im really interested in learning what others are looking for. This can lead to a lifetime of exploration. Its science but could well be banking, marketing, sport or an online video game. I am interested in what the student is thinking for themselves. These are all practical questions, but are we losing opportunities to learn more deeply as we carefully avoid asking why and curb and limit the kinds of questions we ask? What do you think motivates scientists to ask why? In other words, 16 min read, Join us in celebrating Peer Review Week 2019! You can help your students appreciate the excitement of scientific discoveries in many ways for example, by discussing science news stories, new and compelling research, or the announcement of the Nobel prizes in science. When I was presenting my masters thesis the committee suggested I continue with the same theme. As for social status, yes, people will commend you atdinner parties for the nobility of a career in science and shamefully admit that in comparisontheir job in marketing is futile and meaningless but your grandmother still thinks you are a student (why else would a 32-year old hang around a University?) It makes each one of us smarter and brings ease to our life. One of the practices that I recommend to those who wish to enhance their resilience is to ask questions. Read Editage Insights in your favorite RSS Reader. " because, they are inquisitive people who want to know how things work and why things happen the way, they do. Put simply, they do not ask Why? that? Scientists like Stephen Hawking and others are compelled to question "Why?" because they are intrigued about how the world works. Specifically, the formula relating the period of a pendulums swing (T) to its length (l) and gravity (g), which I found in a textbook at the age of about 15: I was always good at maths. Medical Physicist, man, age 63, My entire childhood was steeped in experiences in the natural world and in scientific observation/experimentation. - Research is driven by a desire to take on the challenge of addressing unresolved problems, or by concern for real-world problems. 6 strategies to deal with a storm of uncertainty. This new situationcan be a shock to the system. [CDATA[> So feel free to reach out and let me know what brought you to research and what keeps you or has kept you motivated through the years. But even though I wanted to be a scientist from a young age, I didnt know it was open to me so I didnt dare express it. For example, What you are saying is [use your favorite word, e.g., exciting, interesting, fascinating] to hear. Although Im not completely confident as to what variables led to my research genre, I am certain that what coalesced is authentic to me. What is it, however, that gives humans this ability to turn every phenomenon into meaningful Why and How questions? //-->What motivates scientists to ask, Why? In other words, what And when we are in a moment when we have been pummeled by the unexpected, its great to be ready with more possibilities from which to choose our response resiliently. This says that while I am asking a question, it is because I am a part of the conversation and part of the answer as well. Though this remains a proverbially uphill battle, it may be more accurate to label it an up-cliff war. True or False? A scientist is inquisiti. Heres a quick round up of some interesting answers to the questions I was asking: An Editage Insights community member; participant of the, An Editage Insights community member; participant of, Ndayisaba Pierre Celestin An Editage Insights community member; participant of the, Editage Insights six-week challenge for researchers, See more Let us all be accidents that change the world! Are we basing our actions on previous experiences and never questioning that those early experiences no longer exist? What Motivates Us and Why | Psychology Today 6 min read, It's time to hear from the Editage Insights community! The focus is not so much on the product, i.e. The interviewer can learn what drew you to . First, intrinsic motivation is when you do something because you find it gratifying, such as reading a novel because you enjoy the story. Indeed, if theres anything the pandemic has made clear, its that the importance of scientific research cant be understated in todays world. Once the adolescent attitudes begin to mature into adulthood, it should be time to begin asking why again. Or they are too lazy to explore in their minds what they are really interested in knowing ("Why?"). Molecular biologist, man, age 60, Ive had a passion for science ever since I can remember, from age 4 or so. What motivates scientists to ask, Why? Humans are born with natural curiosity and due to this instinct, we have proceeded to try figure out ways to explain the world around us. Children like to know why things are as they are. pic.twitter.com/HZrkPZpm3R, Clinical Social Work/Therapist, LCSW, CASAC (also currently a doctoral candidate in clinical social work at New York University). [CDATA[// >